Prepared by: Joseph A. Schiwek, Jr., Archivist, Archdiocese of Portland. December 21, 2021
December 1915 & March 1916: Two missions were conducted in Linnton in St. Peter's Chapel Car under the auspices of the Extension Society.
March 1916: The Rev. Charles M. Smith (of parish in St. John's) was commissioned to organize a mission parish in Linnton. The chapel of St. Birgitta's was dedicated by Archbishop Christie on July 16, 1916.
1916-1917: St. Birgitta's was serviced by the Redemptorists in St. John's (St. Clement's parish) and later by the Servites (Assumption parish).
1918-1927: Fr. Smith, who was pastor at St. Patrick's in Northwest Portland, served as a missionary priest to Linnton, assisted by Fr. Theodore J. Bernards (1921-1923) and Fr. M.J. Burkel (1925-1927).
February 3, 1927: Fr. Smith was appointed pastor at Linnton, but only remained there until August 27, 1927, when Fr. B.V. Kelley of Blessed Sacrament parish was given care of the mission.
1929-1937: The Holy Cross Fathers from the University of Portland served St. Birgitta's mission.
1938-1954: St. Birgitta's was attached to St. Patrick's parish as a mission.
September 16, 1954: Fr. Milan Mikulich, OFM, was appointed administrator (and later pastor) of St. Birgitta's.
December 18, 1955: A new church was dedicated on this day by Archbishop Edward D. Howard; the old church of 1916 was later sold.
August 1, 1969: St. Birgitta's mission church designated as a parish with Fr. Milan continuing as pastor.
July 1, 1993: Fr. Milan retires and Fr. Joseph P. Browne, CSC, of the University of Portland appointed pastor (to July 1, 2005).
July 1, 2005: Fr. Joseph Barita, ALCP appointed pastor (to July 1, 2010).
July 1, 2010: Fr. Luan Tran appointed pastor (to July 1, 2018).
July 1, 2018: Fr. Joshua Clifton appointed administrator, serving in this capacity to date.